Re: [DOCS] Version differences

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Version differences
Date: 2007-08-10 20:45:58
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Dave Page a écrit :
> There is currently no way for a visitor to the website to what whats
> cool and new in the latest major release. This info is in the main
> announcement panel for a while after we release, but is gone as soon as
> we have a conference or something.
>
> Any ideas how we can best fix this?

I think we need to keep both. As soon as a conference is coming (say a
week before), put a note about it on the announcement panel. When the
conference is over, put the previous note (the latest major release one)
on the announcement panel.

I don't think we have enough place to put the two of them.

> Related to this, we have links on the front page to the release notes of
> the latest point releases. A suggestion was made to me that these should
> point to lists of all the changes in the given branch. Consider the
> following scenario:
>
> - Critical security issue is found so we produce a release.
> - Shortly after we find a simple bug in say, plpgsql that warrants
> another release.
> - User visits the site, and only sees the details of the bug which
> doesn't affect him, thus doesn't bother to upgrade.
>
> One solution (which could also resolve an issue that I think JD raised
> recently) would be to split the Release Notes appendix in the docs into
> seperate pages for each major release, re-ordered so the next/previous
> links make more sense. On the website we'd then point people at these
> index pages, rather than the specific release.

If you really want to do this, best is to use the HTML files and modify
them with a bunch a sed/awk/perl/bash scripting. Changing DSSSL
stylesheets to build a really specific "release notes' manual" would be
too hard, I guess.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.