psql 8.2 client vs pg 8.1 server problem

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql 8.2 client vs pg 8.1 server problem
Date: 2007-07-31 12:22:26
Lists: pgsql-general

We have psql 8.2 clients on our workstations, while we still have pg 8.1
on our development and production servers. This causes problems like the
following:

database> \d table
ERROR: column i.indisvalid does not exist
database>

We can log into the server and use the local client of course, but this
problem is causing some confusion among our new employees and doesn't
exactly inspire them with the reliability we know PostgreSQL has...

Is there a better workaround, or may this be a bug even?

Versions:

psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 8.2.4
contains support for command-line editing

database> select version();
version

PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC cc (GCC) 3.3.5
(Debian 1:3.3.5-13)
(1 row)

--
Alban Hertroys