Re: public schema not prefixed / copy + paste adds newline

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: public schema not prefixed / copy + paste adds newline
Date: 2007-07-24 11:09:53
Lists: pgadmin-support

Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> The problem is though, that it remains the underlying controls that
>> are doing the copy and the paste operations so we still have no way in
>> pgAdmin to filter it out. You can actually test this by pasting using
>> the button to do it - that does use our code which ensures it pastes
>> plain text (thus losing the RTF cruft that causes the 'newline'. The
>> problem is that the controls don't allow us to override their paste
>> hotkeys - at least if they do, it needs some unusual foo that I've yet
>> to stumble across.
>
> Just to make sure ..
> Not copying and pasting is the root of the problem, but the incorrect
> representation of the text to begin with. This appended character should
> not be there, at least not selectable.
> Maybe you have a way to avoid the appendix, thus avoiding also the need
> to override copy / paste hotkeys?
>
> If that is a no-go, too, then where can we file a bug report?

billg(at)microsoft(dot)com ? In other words, you might as well shout the report
at the statue of David and hope it gets fixed :-(

By way of proof, you can recreate the bug exactly using Wordpad. Type a
single word, and check the are no blank lines (try arrowing down). Then
hit Ctrl-C and the mystery extra char also gets selected.

Paste it into pgAdmin's grid or Wordpad, and the newline will appear.

All is not necessarily lost however - it strike me that we might be able
to use the STC control instead of a rich textbox (thats the one we use
for the SQL input fields). I'll look into it....

/D