Re: write_pipe_chunks patch messes up early error message output

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: write_pipe_chunks patch messes up early error message output
Date: 2007-07-16 13:35:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>> Is there any reason we can't just use a check on whether SysLoggerPID is
>> not 0?
>>

> (a) that really shouldn't be exported out of postmaster.c, and (b) it is
> not readily available to child backends is it?

It's already used in elog.c in Win32 code:

if ((!Redirect_stderr || am_syslogger ||
(!IsUnderPostmaster && SysLoggerPID==0)) &&
pgwin32_is_service())
write_eventlog(edata->elevel, buf.data);

Child backends might have an out of date version if we restart the
Syslogger, but would that matter in this case? For current purposes all
we need is to know that the syslogger has in fact started, ISTM.

If that makes you puke we can do something more elegant, but I suspect
it will amount to the same thing.

cheers

andrew