Re: patch - support for multi-dimensional arrays and NULL values

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Marek Lewczuk <newsy(at)lewczuk(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: patch - support for multi-dimensional arrays and NULL values
Date: 2007-07-16 06:24:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka wrote:

> 2) Changing from returning arrays of primitive types to arrays of
> objects is necessary for null and multi-dimension support, but will
> still break users code all over the place. Not sure what we can do
> about that other than put a strong warning in the release notes.

I was wondering which behaviour was right -- I thought returning
array-of-primitive was correct per the spec at the time I wrote it, and
that's why getArray() returns Object not Object[] -- but now the 1.6
javadoc says:

> Note: When getArray is used to materialize a base type that maps to a primitive data type, then it is implementation-defined whether the array returned is an array of that primitive data type or an array of Object.

So I suppose that .. in theory .. applications should be expecting to
handle both. Ugh.

-O