Re: vacuumdb: PANIC: corrupted item pointer

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: AlJeux <aljeux(at)free(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuumdb: PANIC: corrupted item pointer
Date: 2007-07-10 20:26:48
Lists: pgsql-general

AlJeux wrote:
> Richard Huxton a écrit :
>> 1. Have you had crashes or other hardware problems recently?
>
> No crash but we changed our server (<= seems the cause).
>
> First try was using a file system copy to reduce downtime as it was two
> same 7.4.x version but the result was not working (maybe related to
> architecture change 32bits => 64 bits) so I finally dropped the db and
> performed an dump/restore. I think, the db was a mix of 32/64 bits files.

Ah! That'll do it. You will get problems with a filesystem copy if
1. The database is running.
2. The architectures aren't identical
3. The installation options are different (a simple date option
difference can cause problems)

I'm surprised you didn't get more problems frankly.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd