Re: russian case-insensitive regexp search not working

From: alexander lunyov <lan(at)startatom(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: russian case-insensitive regexp search not working
Date: 2007-07-10 12:34:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Karsten Hilbert wrote:
>>> Just to clarify: lower() on both sides of a comparison
>>> should still work as expected on multibyte encodings ? It's
>>> been suggested here before.
>> lower() on both sides also does not working in my case, it still search for
>> case-sensitive data. String in this example have first char capitalized,
>> and result is the same. Seems that lower() can't lower multibyte character.
>>
>> db=> select lower('Зелен');
> Well, no,

With this i just wanted to say that lower() doesn't work at all on
russian unicode characters, even in "select lower('String')" 'String'
don't become lowercase, and further it does not work in more complex
select statement.

> select my_string where lower(my_string) ~ lower(search_fragment);
>
> Does that help ?
>
> (~ does work for eg. German in my experience)

No, for russian unicode strings it is not working.
I searched pgsql-patches@ list and found there this thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-06/msg00021.php
I wrote Andrew (he didn't answer yet) about whether this patch can
help with my problem.

P.S.: if this issue is a known bug (as we talked earlier), then how long
will it take to fix it? I know little about postgresql development
process, maybe you know it little better?

--
alexander lunyov
lan(at)startatom(dot)ru