Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>, "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies
Date: 2007-07-05 05:15:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom Lane wrote:
> PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com> writes:
>>> What version of PostgreSQL are you using?
>
>> I think newbies should be pushed a bit to use the latest versions,
>
> How about pushed *hard* ? I'm constantly amazed at the number of people
> who show up in the lists saying they installed 7.3.2 or whatever random
> version they found in a dusty archive somewhere. "Please upgrade" is at
> least one order of magnitude more valuable configuration advice than
> anything else we could tell them.

(picking up an old thread while at a boring wait at the airport.. anyway)

I keep trying to think of more nad better ways to do this :-) Perhaps we
should put some text on the bug reporting form (and in the documentation
about bug reporting) that's basically "don't bother reporting a bug
unless you're on the latest in a branch, and at least make sure you're
on one of the maojr releases listed on www.postgresql.org"?

Seems reasonable?

//Magnus