Re: todo: Hash index creation

From: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: todo: Hash index creation
Date: 2007-07-03 16:00:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

<head>
<title></title>
</head>
Wow... not sure how I missed that. I *did* create this schema ages ago,
perhaps it wasn't there, or at the time I had no idea what the
implications were. *shrug*<br>
Regards,<br>
- Naz.<br>
Tom Lane wrote:
<pre wrap="">Naz Gassiep <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:naz(at)mira(dot)net">&lt;naz(at)mira(dot)net&gt;</a> writes:
</pre>
<pre wrap="">As a result, when creating tables containing large blocks of text I wish
to index, I've been using HASH as an index method. Please can we state
in the manual that HASH index types are in a beta stage of development
or something similar, or perhaps remove the manual entry altogether
until HASH is at a point where it is usable in production.
</pre>
<pre wrap=""><!---->
Uh, the manual already does say

Note: Testing has shown PostgreSQL's hash indexes to perform no better
than B-tree indexes, and the index size and build time for hash indexes
is much worse. Furthermore, hash index operations are not presently
WAL-logged, so hash indexes might need to be rebuilt with REINDEX after
a database crash. For these reasons, hash index use is presently
discouraged.

under 11.2 Index Types, as well as various derogatory remarks elsewhere.

regards, tom lane

</pre>

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/html 1.6 KB