Re: Creditcard Number Security was Re: Encrypted column

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creditcard Number Security was Re: Encrypted column
Date: 2007-06-07 23:31:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard P. Welty wrote:
> Guy Fraser wrote:
>> Have you thought about setting up an account with PayPal, and having
>> people pay through PayPal?
>>
>> Let PayPal deal with the security, and credit card info, after all it's
>> what they do.
>>
> at the day job, when we switched from paypal (who we found very
> undependable)
> to authorize.net, we were very pleased to discover that authorize.net
> would take
> care of the credit card numbers for us, so we didn't have to try to
> secure them beyond
> the usual requirements while the numbers are in transit.
>
> i would definitely recommend outsourcing for this if at all possible.

Paypal has a perception issue - they are perceived as being tightly
linked with eBay. That's a problem in the corporate arena. If my stock
broker were to tell me they do all their financial transactions through
Paypal, I'd probably wonder if they were a legitimate corporation.

Do any of these outsourcers indemnify corporate customers against fraud
or data loss?

--
Guy Rouillier