Re: Slightly OT.

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alexander Staubo <alex(at)purefiction(dot)net>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "gonzales(at)linuxlouis(dot)net" <gonzales(at)linuxlouis(dot)net>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>, nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slightly OT.
Date: 2007-06-01 19:10:14
Lists: pgsql-general

Alexander Staubo wrote:
> On 6/1/07, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 17:00 +0200, Alexander Staubo wrote:
>> > the projected Slony-II design, but the setup seems dead simple, and
>> > from the docs I have found it seems to transparently replicate schema
>> > changes, unlike Slony-I. So that's something.
>>
>> To be fair to Slony-I, the fact that it does not replicate DDL is a
>> feature, not a bug. It's table-based, which is a very flexible design.
>
> I fail to see how that's an excuse not to replicate DDL. If I run
> "alter table" on the master, there is no reason whatever that this
> command cannot be executed on all the slaves -- which is what I would
> expect of a replication system.

As the owner of a company that actually actively developing a
replication system and has for years... I suggest you start putting your
code where your words are.

This is not nearly as simple as it seems. There is a reason that Slony
attempts to do it in user space instead of postgresql space.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/