Re: Set hint bits upon eviction from BufMgr

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Set hint bits upon eviction from BufMgr
Date: 2011-03-28 14:19:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I was thinking about setting a
>> flag in the buffer (BM_HEAP) that gets set by the loader which flags
>> the buffer for later inspection. Is there a simpler way to do this?

> Hmm. That's slightly crufty, but it might be OK. At least, I don't
> have a better idea.

The major problem with all of this is that the bgwriter has no idea
which buffers contain heap pages. And I'm not convinced it's a good
idea to try to let it know that. If we get to the point where bgwriter
is trying to do catalog accesses, we are in for a world of pain.
(Can you say "modularity violation"? How about "deadlock"?)