Re: Fault Tolerant Postgresql (two machines, two postmasters, one disk array)

From: Geoffrey <esoteric(at)3times25(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fault Tolerant Postgresql (two machines, two postmasters, one disk array)
Date: 2007-05-11 12:32:59
Lists: pgsql-general

John Gateley wrote:
> Sorry if this is a FAQ, I did search and couldn't find much.
>
> I need to make my Postgresql installation fault tolerant.
> I was imagining a RAIDed disk array that is accessible from two
> (or multiple) computers, with a postmaster running on each computer.
> (Hardware upgrades could then be done to each computer at different
> times without losing access to the database).

We are doing this, more or less. We use the RH cluster suite on two
machines that share a common data silo. Basically, if one machine
fails, the other fires up a postmaster and picks up where the other left
off.

That's real simple description because we actually have an active/active
configuration with multiple postmasters running on each machine.
Machine A is the active machine for databases 1-3 and machine B is the
active machine for databases 4-6. If machine A fails, postmasters are
fired up on machine B to attend to databases 1-3.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

- Benjamin Franklin