Re: Have I b0rked something? Slow comparisons on "where x in (...)"

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: Listmail <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Harris <lists(at)spuddy(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Have I b0rked something? Slow comparisons on "where x in (...)"
Date: 2007-05-04 08:55:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Listmail wrote:

> Followup to my previous test, with an index this time
>
> EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM test WHERE value IN ( 1000 integers )

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to measure here, but I don't think
it is what was suggested.

IIRC the suggestion was to move the values from your IN (...) operator
into a temp table and join against that.

Try measuring something like this:

EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM table JOIN test ON (table.column = test.value)

vs.

EXPLAIN ANALYZE SELECT * FROM table WHERE value IN ( 1000 integers )

--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl

magproductions b.v.