Re: Is "Window" really safe as a global typedef name?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is "Window" really safe as a global typedef name?
Date: 2008-12-21 17:43:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> 2008/12/21 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
>>> WindowAgg?
>>
>> WindowAgg seems like a winner to me, because it draws a parallel to
>> the regular Agg node type, which seems valid unless I've completely
>> misunderstood what's happening...

> I disagree with WindowAgg. The aggregates are subset of window
> functions in the node, though much code is similar and ported from
> nodeAgg.

So? If Agg does a subset of what WindowAgg does, all the more reason
to use that name.

> The spec introduces its concept as "Windowed Table". So I'd suggest
> "WindowedTable" or "WindowTable". Or "Windowed" if shortened.

I don't care for this proposal. Most of the plan node types are named
after verbs denoting their actions ("scan", "sort", etc --- note that
"aggregate" can be a verb in English, and I think the verb sense is what
the Agg(regate) node is named for). Choosing a name that's a noun
doesn't fit in.