Re: Win32 pg_dump fails for single table backup

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Arnaud Lesauvage <arnaud(dot)lesauvage(at)supermail(dot)fr>
Cc: "simon(dot)abele(at)gmail(dot)com" <simon(dot)abele(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32 pg_dump fails for single table backup
Date: 2007-04-17 10:42:02
Lists: pgadmin-support

Arnaud Lesauvage wrote:
> simon(dot)abele(at)gmail(dot)com a écrit :
>> I second this bug - i'm experiencing the same problem trying to backup
>> (dump) tables with mixed case names (e.g. MyTableName). I've installed
>> pgAdmin v1.6.3 and attempted to backup (compressed and plain, within
>> pgadmin, from cmd line) some tables with mixed case names, so far
>> without success. I'm able to dump out all lower case named tables
>> (e.g. mytablename) but NOT mixed case named tables.
>
> So the syntax "-t <table> -n <schema>" used by pgAdmin is not correct
> anymore.

Are you sure you're running 1.6.3? I get (not the non default schema,
and that both the schema and table names need quoting):

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.2\bin\pg_dump.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432
-U postgres -F c -v -f "c:\foo.bak" -t "\"FOO\".\"Role\"" postgres
pg_dump: reading schemas
pg_dump: reading user-defined functions
pg_dump: reading user-defined types
pg_dump: reading procedural languages
pg_dump: reading user-defined aggregate functions
pg_dump: reading user-defined operators
pg_dump: reading user-defined operator classes
pg_dump: reading user-defined conversions
pg_dump: reading user-defined tables
pg_dump: reading table inheritance information
pg_dump: reading rewrite rules
pg_dump: reading type casts
pg_dump: finding inheritance relationships
pg_dump: reading column info for interesting tables
pg_dump: finding the columns and types of table "Role"
pg_dump: flagging inherited columns in subtables
pg_dump: reading indexes
pg_dump: reading indexes for table "Role"
pg_dump: reading constraints
pg_dump: reading triggers
pg_dump: reading dependency data
pg_dump: saving encoding = LATIN1
pg_dump: saving standard_conforming_strings = off
pg_dump: dumping contents of table Role

Process returned exit code 0.

Regards, Dave