Re: Win32 pg_dump fails for single table backup

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <arnaud(dot)lesauvage(at)supermail(dot)fr>
To: "simon(dot)abele(at)gmail(dot)com" <simon(dot)abele(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32 pg_dump fails for single table backup
Date: 2007-04-17 06:15:14
Lists: pgadmin-support

simon(dot)abele(at)gmail(dot)com a écrit :
> On Apr 16, 8:49 am, arnaud(dot)lesauv(dot)(dot)(dot)(at)supermail(dot)fr (Arnaud Lesauvage)
> wrote:
>> I found this bug already mentionned in the archives of January 2007, but it was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.3.
>> Obviously it is not so, since I still have the error "No matching tables were found" when trying to perform a single table backup/
>
> I second this bug - i'm experiencing the same problem trying to backup
> (dump) tables with mixed case names (e.g. MyTableName). I've installed
> pgAdmin v1.6.3 and attempted to backup (compressed and plain, within
> pgadmin, from cmd line) some tables with mixed case names, so far
> without success. I'm able to dump out all lower case named tables
> (e.g. mytablename) but NOT mixed case named tables.

I believe the problem is more with a change in the syntax of pg_dump's -t switch since version 8.2.
I quote the manual :
"Note: The behavior of the -t switch is not entirely upward compatible with pre-8.2 PostgreSQL versions. Formerly, writing -t tab would dump all tables named tab, but now it just dumps whichever one is visible in your default search path. To get the old behavior you can write -t '*.tab'. Also, you must write something like -t sch.tab to select a table in a particular schema, rather than the old locution of -n sch -t tab."

So the syntax "-t <table> -n <schema>" used by pgAdmin is not correct anymore.

--
Arnaud