Re: How to add a server on pgadmin

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: shieldy <shieldly(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to add a server on pgadmin
Date: 2007-04-15 16:12:30
Lists: pgadmin-support
On 15/04/2007 10:00, shieldy wrote:
> but i  just didnot know the server name  and the Name , Host, and even the
> password,  I install the postgresql on my own computer, so I have the
> enought access rights, but what should I fill the blank??

"Name" is just a descriptive name you can give the server instance in
pgAdmin to distinguish it in the list - it has no meaning outside pgAdmin.

"Host" is the name or IP address of the machine the server is running on
- if it's the same computer as the one on which you're running pgAdmin,
then "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" will do.

"Port" is the TCP/IP port on which the server is listening - this is
5432 by default, unless you chaned it when installing PostgreSQL.

"Username" and "Password" are the username and password of a database
user as which you can connect to the server. PgAdmin defaults to
"postgres", which by convention is the PostgreSQL super-user. I missed
what OS you said you were on, but if on Windows and you used the Windows
Installer package, then you would have been prompted for a password for
this user - use the same password here.

If PostgreSQL is running on Windows, then it runs as a service, and
"service" is the name of that service. Look in "Administrative Tools" ->
"Services" to find out what yours is called.

HTH,

Ray.

rod(at)iol(dot)ie