Re: What X86/X64 OS's do we need coverage for?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: Matthew O'Connor <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>, "'Joshua D(dot) Drake'" <jd(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What X86/X64 OS's do we need coverage for?
Date: 2007-04-06 14:13:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Larry Rosenman wrote:
> It doesn't matter as far as MY box is concerned. I use VMWare
> extensively
> in my current $DAYJOB, and I want to be able to test/play with things
> related
> to that as well. The box I'm building will be using the (free) VMWare
> Server
> as it's virtualization platform.
>
> I'd still like to hear from a Tom Lane or someone else on the project
> with what
> X86 or X86_64 OS's we need coverage for.

VMWare Server is indeed a fine product, which I use extensively.

I am not sure what our Windows support is like for x86_64. Magnus has
one for MSVC (for which buildfarm support is nearly done, but not
quite). But I don't see one for MinGW. OTOH, Windows is not free (in
either sense) and setting up a build environment there is quite a bit
harder than on Unix platforms.

The other platform I've whined about missing for some time is HP-UX,
especially on PA-RISC. But that's a whole different story.

cheers

andrew