Re: Multi-Language upper(),lower()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ara Anjargolian <ara818(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Multi-Language upper(),lower()
Date: 2004-06-25 02:43:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Ara Anjargolian <ara818(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Am I mistaken, or was multi-language support for
> upper(), lower() and friends recently added to 7.5?

I fixed upper/lower so that they would work on multi-byte character set
encodings, given that the platform supports the <wctype.h> functions
towupper, towlower, etc. This means they can work on Unicode (UTF-8)
data. However, this doesn't do anything to improve the fundamental
issue that we are dependent on the C library's API for locale-specific
behavior, and that that API does *not* easily support dealing with
multiple locales at once. See the nearby "unicode and sorting" thread.