Re: Default "maximum rows to retrieve" setting

From: Andy Shellam <andy(dot)shellam-lists(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default "maximum rows to retrieve" setting
Date: 2007-03-19 10:48:01
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:

>> Ideally what I'd like is to set the default rows to retrieve to 1000, so
>> it downloads the first 1000 rows when I open the table, and then I can
>> choose to retrieve others if I need to.

I'd love to! But I'm afraid I don't know C/C++ programming, and have
never done anything with WxWidgets.

If someone else wants to have a go, I could see perhaps having a text
box within the "View data (filtered)" dialogue that would take the
default setting of "max. rows to retrieve" but give you the option to
override it to 0 (unlimited) or some other figure, and that would apply
the "LIMIT" clause to the query, just as it does the "WHERE" clause
currently.

So it would end up that "View all" does the same as it does now, but
"View data (filtered)" gives you both the WHERE filter and the LIMIT clause.

Hope this helps someone!

Andy.