Re: Feature request

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Kevin Macdonald <kevin(dot)macdonald(at)pentura(dot)ca>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature request
Date: 2007-03-14 15:54:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Kevin Macdonald a ecrit le 14/03/2007 16:25:
> [...]
> REQUEST 1
> ---------
>
> Often, I have a number of "Query Tool" windows open at any one time --
> each connected to a different database and through a different account.
>
> It would be very useful to know which window points where. One way would
> be to print the name of the database and account, through which the
> connection was made, in the title bar of the Query Tool window.
> Currently, the title bar is empty.

I can provide a patch for this one. It should not be too hard, I think.

> REQUEST 2
> ---------
>
> I also use SQL*Navigator to access our Oracle installations. On useful
> feature is that it allows multiple SQL statements to appear in the
> window, and it lets you run an arbitrary statement by positioning your
> cursor on the line and press F5.
>
> Of course, each statement would have to be terminated by a semi-colon.
>
> For example:
> ---------------------
> select * from foo;
> update foo set col = 'Fred';
> ---------------------
>
> If the cursor was positioned on line 1, when you press F5, the SELECT
> would run; if the cursor was on line 2, when you press F%, the UPDATE
> would run.

EMS SQL Manager does the same kind of thing, but a bit differently. It
executes all SQL statements that are selected. For example, to execute
line 1, I would need to select line 1 and press Fx (I don't remember
which one :) ). If I need to execute statements on line 1 and 2, but not
the one on line 3, I would need to select lines 1 and 2 and press Fx.

Would you agree on such a behavior ? It seems more "powerful" but it
would differ from what you do now.

I can try to do this one too.

Regards.

--