Re: Grouped Index Tuples / Clustered Indexes

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Grouped Index Tuples / Clustered Indexes
Date: 2007-03-11 18:06:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> There's a third related term in use as well. When you issue CLUSTER, the
> table will be clustered on an index. And that index is then the "index
> the table is clustered on". That's a bit cumbersome but that's the
> terminology we're using at the moment. Maybe we should to come up with a
> new term for that to avoid confusion..

This reminds me of something i've been wondering about for quite some
time. Why is it that one has to write "cluster <index> on <table>",
and not "cluster <table> on <index>"?

To me, the second variant would seem more logical, but then I'm
not a native english speaker...

I'm not suggesting that this should be changed, I'm just wondering
why it is the way it is.

greetings, Florian Pflug