Re: compact flash disks?

From: Carlos Moreno <moreno_pg(at)mochima(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: compact flash disks?
Date: 2007-03-07 15:48:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Much better to use flash RAM for read heavy applications.
> Even there you have to be careful that seek performance, not
> throughput, is what is gating your day to day performance with those
> tables.

Isn't precisely there where Flash disks would have *the* big advantage??

I mean, access time is severely held down by the *mechanical* movement of
the heads to the right cylinder on the disk --- that's a brutally large
amount of
time compared to anything else happening on the computer (well, floppy
disks aside, and things like trying-to-break-128-bit-encryption aside
:-)).

Or are these Flash disks so slow that they compare to the HD's latency
figures?

Carlos