Re: grant on sequence and pg_restore/pg_dump problem

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: grant on sequence and pg_restore/pg_dump problem
Date: 2007-02-28 18:43:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tony Caduto wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I did a quick search and didn't see anything on this, if I missed it
>> sorry in advance.
>> Anyway, I was doing a restore of a 8.1 database(on a 8.1 server) using
>> the 8.2 pg_restore and it was throwing errors when it was trying to
>> restore the permissions on the sequences.
>> basically the pg_restore was using the grant on sequence against the 8.1
>> database which of course 8.1 knows nothing about.
>>
>> Is there a switch or something I missed that would allow this to work
>> properly on a 8.1 or lower database?
>> Or do I have to now have 2 versions of dump/restore in order to do this?
>>

> You can use 8.2 to dump 8.1, but for restore, you should use the same
> version as the target database.

So for admin tool vendors, we need to now ship more than one copy of
pg_restore?
Wasn't the restore pretty much backwards compatible until now?
Certainly pg_restore must know what version of the server it's
connecting to, shouldn't it be able to adjust the GRANT ON so on versions
< 8.2 it does not use the SEQUENCE keyword?

Thanks,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design