Re: Patch to roadmap

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch to roadmap
Date: 2007-02-27 17:58:55
Lists: pgsql-www

>>> The same goes for the link on the frontpage (per your other patch), I
>>> think it's better if it goes into the developer section, or possibly
>>> directly to the TODO list, and not to the Wiki.
>> I disagree strongly with this one. The point of the change to the front
>> page is to get everyone as much information as they need with one entry
>> point.
>>
>> It isn't about replacing the TODO list, it in fact has nothing to do
>> with the TODO list.
>>
>> If I go to the TODO list, how do I know who is working on a feature?
>> If I go to the TODO list, how do I know the status of a feature?
>>
>> I don't. The WIKI gives us that and gives us the TODO list to boot.
>
> What you are suggesting is getting rid of the TODO list and replacing it
> with the Wiki.

I think this is where the disconnect is. I am *not* suggesting any such
thing. I am suggesting, that a single link on a single page which is not
the TODO list page, be changed to reflect a link that contains more
thorough information about our development which *includes* the TODO
list links.

This is purely an organizational thing, it has nothing to do with the
TODO list anymore than it does a link to archives.postgresql.org.

If we want to do that, then it's a different question
> (I'm not going to go into the reasons for or against doing it here, just
> that it's a different consideration)
>
> Until then, AFAIK the TODO list is the official word, and that's the

Even Tom has stated that the TODO is not the official word. The TODO is
a wish list, it is a ice cream on a hot day. It has not standing accept
that it is generated arbitrarily by a core member via discussion that
happens on the list. That core member, willingly puts things on the TODO
list that have never been approved, or had *official* word of acceptance.

That is not to say I am not against the TODO list, I am not, see above.
I am just saying that all arguments about official, non official, are moot.

> only thing we should be linking to from our frontpage. We should not be
> linking to something that's labeled as Unofficial from the entry page of
> our website.

*sigh* Why not? It is the best source of information on development of
PostgreSQL that currently exists.

No -- the mailing lists don't cut it. If I want to read about what is
going on with the XML todo... where do I do that?

Yep, the wiki.

Oh, but I also want to see the current list of pending patches.

Yep, the wiki has it too.

Oh, well I want to see what is coming in 8.3 in terms of syntatical changes.

Oh... the wiki, front page, right there.

Oh, what is this enumerated type thing?

Oh... the wiki has all the links I need to find out.

>> The problem with roadmap on its own page is that it exists to give a
>> warm and fuzzy about possibly having a roadmap which we don't. At all.
>> It is a bogus link, even with the original page and it only contains
>> redundant information.
>
> That's a good point, but people requested a roadmap and that's the best
> we could come up with - IIRC. But I'm definitely open for other changes
> there, but it has to be made to the whole section and not just
> micro-fixes, I think.

Everyone wants something, that doesn't mean they get it. Just look at
this discussion ;) Beyond that I would think a header of Roadmap that is
on the main page of /developer with a paragraph makes a ton more sense.

>>> What might make more sense is to have a paragraph about "the postgresql
>>> development model", in how we deal with patches and such in our project.
>>> (I'm volounteering your time to write this, of course :-P)
>> I would agree with this, including information on a roadmap etc..
>
> Great, especially considering that it was your time that was volunteered
> to do it :-)

Some day you must cross the pond to my side of the world. You owe me beer.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/