Revoking the right to create (non-temporary) tables?

From: Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)janestcapital(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Revoking the right to create (non-temporary) tables?
Date: 2007-02-27 15:26:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Is there a way to revoke the right of a given user from creating
tables? By preference I'd restrict only creating non-temporary tables.

I've tried both
REVOKE CREATE ON DATABASE dbase FROM user;
and:
REVOKE CREATE ON SCHEMA public FROM user;

neither of these seem to work. Help?

The idea I'm looking for is a "safe" user- a user that can view the
production database but can't change or create anything. This allows
fumble-fingered admins to keep a psql open in a window without having to
worry about typing the wrong command in the wrong window, and also
allows us to give out "guest" accounts.

Brian