Re: Introduction

From: David Wheeler <david(at)wheeler(dot)net>
To: Dror Matalon <dror(at)zapatec(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: 2002-10-27 22:41:46
Lists: sfpug
On Sunday, October 27, 2002, at 09:10  AM, Dror Matalon wrote:

> OK. Apologies to both of you for selling DNAI :-). Actually when we
> sold
> the company in 1999 my goal was to keep things in good shape for the
> employees and the customers for 12 months and I stuck around for that
> period. Things actually stayed in reasonable shape for another year,
> till RCN decided to close the Berkeley office. Oh well.

I've recently befriend Rael Dornfest, too. He's had to apologize, as
well. ;-)

> I've ran into Bricolage before, and find it a very intresting product.
> Unfortunately while all the techs at Zapatec speak perl, we do our
> web development in Java.

Pity. ;-)

> Are there any sites running Bricolage where I can see a live system
> using it? We're intrested in implementing content management too.

The World Health Organization <http://www.who.int/> uses it to manage
their content, as does a company called Dimensional Fund Advisors (see
<http://www.waxy.org/archive/2002/10/23/contentm.shtml>).
Primedia/About.com uses it to manage the online content for about 60 of
its magazines, and I'm currently working with Mac|Publishing to get
them managing the content of macworld.com and maccentral.com in
Bricolage. That should go live in a few weeks.

Bricolage isn't a web server, though; it's more of a publishing
platform. You can use its templating to write out any kind of files you
need, and then it distributes them to your web server(s). So you can
have it generate, e.g., JSP documents and send them to a JSP-enabled
web server. No one need ever even know that the content is managed in
Bricolage behind the scenes.

> Also, how do you store the data in the db, large objects?

Bleah, no. We use TEXT fields a lot. But since content is broken up
into discreet chunks (as fine as you like, really), it seldom takes up
much space in any given database row.

Regards,

David

david(at)wheeler(dot)net                                 ICQ: 15726394
http://david.wheeler.net/                      Yahoo!: dew7e
                                                Jabber: Theory(at)jabber(dot)org