Re: Ruby on Rails for PostgreSQL

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Ruby on Rails for PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-02-23 20:31:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 01:25:25PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:
>> I'd like to invite anyone who is interested to download and try it out,
>> and report any issues or problems using the project's trackers on pgFoundry.
>
> Wow, that's great!

Thanks!

> Do you think something like this could eventually be used to make
> pgFoundry projects more 'CPAN-like'? It'd be nice if you could have a
> project that stated 'I rely on pgFoundry projects foo, bar and baz to
> function'...

Yes, code to handle dependency hierarchys and subsequent ordered
installations is already done. I'd estimate the download/installation
wizard to be about 2/3rds complete at the moment. We also have plans for
additional packages that would give us a dependency tree to test.

In addition, the design (and the wizard code) has been written with
future cross platform support in mind - it shouldn't take much effort to
add RPM packages for example.

There is a rough project spec on the downloads area of the pgFoundry
site if you want to read more.

Regards, Dave