Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <richard(at)levitte(dot)org>
Cc: andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, monotone-devel(at)nongnu(dot)org, wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org, stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-23 06:57:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:
> In message <45DDC702(dot)4060205(at)bluegap(dot)ch> on Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:38:26 +0100, Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> said:
>
> markus> > So far, I'm getting the sense that there are a lot of
> markus> > opinions on what replacement system to use, a bit carelessly
> markus> > before having answered the above questions thoroughly.
> markus>
> markus> How did you get that impression?
>
> You said it yourself: Most PostgreSQL developers currently want to
> stay with CVS.

Uh, yah. But I was refering to the "lots of opinions on what replacement
system to use". This has not much to do with the want or need (for lack
of a better alternative) to stay with CVS, IMO.

> Unless there's a majority that wants to move on, I doubt there will be
> a move. In the end, it has to be a group effort, or it will simply
> not happen.

I absolutely agree. And I'm quite sure most PostgreSQL developers also
know that, thus I don't see much point in warning them - they are
resistant enough ;-)

As you might have noticed, I myself don't consider monotone ready for
use by the PostgreSQL project, yet. And I've never advocated for
switching *now*. I only made Tom's point...

Regards

Markus