Re: Language data

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Language data
Date: 2007-02-22 12:06:15
Lists: pgsql-www

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> I see a different way to look at your statistics. This is just
> percentage numbers. Do you have "real" numbers ? I mean, 3.9% of the
> people visiting www.postgresql.org speak french. OK. But 3.9% of how many ?

Magnus probably doesn't have much net access at the moment, so...

From 15/02 - 21/02, 3.95% of the visits to www.postgresql.org have their
language preference set to French. That equates to 5105 of around 130K
total visits.

> Looking at wikipedia, the United States' population stood at an
> estimated 300,000,000. France has an estimated population of 64 million
> people. So France has 21.33% of the population the United States has. So
> having a 3.9% french people visiting the www.postgresql.org web site
> seems a bit huge to me. Of course, there's other countries where french
> is an official language
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_French_is_an_official_language
> ... hmmm, much more than I thought :) ).
>
> And how many french people are interested in PostgreSQL ? I can't say
> but if more than 50% of the french people interested in PostgreSQL are
> visiting www.postgresql.org, we absolutely need a french translation on
> this website.
>
> I just hope my explanations were understandable.

Yup, understandable. I don't necessarily agree with your guess that 3.9%
is too high though

>> Now, looking at geographical distribution, it's quite different:
>> United States 21.5%
>> Germany 7.0%
>> Brazil 6.5%
>> Japan 4.6%
>> Poland 4.1%
>> France 4.0%
>> United Kingdom 4.0%
>>
>> Adding up English speaking countries in the top list (US, UK, Canada and
>> Australia), we have about 30%. Which clearly shows that a lot of people
>> outside English speaking countries have their browsers set for English
>> as their primary choice - just like me ;-)
>>

> Or they are just using default options. That's what they have when they
> download an english Firefox or a beta release.

Quite probably I would guess.

>> [...]
>> Regardless of this, given that two people have expressed interest in
>> translating what's there now, I'll make sure that the translation
>> continues to work as good or bad as it previously had. Then we can
>> improve on that in the future, once we see actual needs from actual
>> translators.
>>

> So we can start working on it ? that would be pretty cool :)

Of course - you've seen the howto?

/D