Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Adrian Maier <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-12 22:00:02
Lists: pgsql-www

>> There's some stuff in the README file:
>> http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/portal/README?rev=1.8;cvsroot=pgweb
>>

> OK, I'll read this.

Please do and let us know what you think. If the way it's done today is
broken, we need to fix that rather than just live on with what we have.
But that requires an idea of what to fix it into :-)

>> Well, you're one of the maintainers of postgresqlfr.org, right? What are
>> your thoughts on that vs a translated www.postgresql.org? I'd really
>> like to hear more from the people who're actually maintaining the
>> non-english websites..
>>

> At the beginning of this thread, I thought we could rip the translation
> part of postgresql.org. Really, why would we need two websites ? But, as
> the thread goes on and on, I now think we need both of them. I think
> many french people first go to the main website, ie www.postgresql.org,
> for example to download the tarball. That's where they discover the
> french mailing list and the french website. The french website is the
> association's website. We put in it a translated PGWN, release news and
> french success stories... and I think that's all. Hmmm, no, we also add
> news on meetings (Solutions Linux, RMLL, etc.) And there's a cookbook
> and a forum. That's all. Nothing like what's available on postgresql.org.
>
> So I think we need both of them.
>
> And I think we need a documentation's website but that's another story.

Okay. Let me then ask the other thing that we really haven't discussed:
Do we want the language site to be served up automatically. That's
really what the code is all about today. If your browser is set to
prefer French, we'll serve up the French version of the page (if
available). While convenient, I personally don't like sites that do this
for me (I've reconfigured my browser to put English as the top language
for that reason).
Now if we *don't* want this, the comment about incomplete translations
fall - then you will only see that which is translated.

//Magnus