Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Adrian Maier <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-12 21:39:49
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi Magnus :)

Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander a ecrit le 12/02/2007 10:36:
>>> A .po file is easier than a plaintext file? Well, I'm don't do much
>>> translating myself, but I can't see how translating a webpage can be
>>> easier than translating the actual text of the webpage in the file...
>>>
>>> (We do have .po files for the strings that come out of the PHP code
>>> directly)
>>>
>>> As for news and such, there's a web interface. Are you saying that's
>>> also too complex? Frankly, I don't see how a .po would make that better,
>>> but again I'm not used to working with these things.
>>>
>> Honestly, I didn't know there was a way to translate the main website.
>
> Really? You mustn't have followed -www very closely :-) I specifically
> recall having told several people about that - though it's been a while
> since someone last asked.

I think it would have triggered something in me :) Perhaps, I wasn't on
pgsql-www at this time. And perhaps, I didn't read these mails really
carefuly :)

>> Renaud Fortier and I did the translation on pgAdmin's website because
>> Dave told us it was possible. I think keeping the translation part of
>> the code is really necessary. I would be glad to provide a french
>> translation of the www.postgresql.org website. But I don't know how. And
>> a few days back, I didn't know we could do it. Is there a document
>> describing how to take care of this ?
>
> There's some stuff in the README file:
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/portal/README?rev=1.8;cvsroot=pgweb

OK, I'll read this.

>> Using po files is really easier when you don't have big pages or
>> documents. They are really useful for apps' translations and websites.
>> But they could be nightmare for things like manuals, books.
>
> Right, that's what I thought. BTW, I don't think the website currently
> has the infrastructure to translate the docs part ;-)

You're right. And I won't translate once again just to use .po files :)

>>> Well, I stand by that opinion. I know for examlpe pgAdmin only ships
>>> translations that are n percent or better (iirc, it's 85% or so), which
>>> makes it reasonable. Shipping something that only has 15% translation
>>> rate does the user a disservice, imho.
>>>
>> I agree on this. And it's really easy to get the percentage with po files.
>
> Well, you're one of the maintainers of postgresqlfr.org, right? What are
> your thoughts on that vs a translated www.postgresql.org? I'd really
> like to hear more from the people who're actually maintaining the
> non-english websites..

At the beginning of this thread, I thought we could rip the translation
part of postgresql.org. Really, why would we need two websites ? But, as
the thread goes on and on, I now think we need both of them. I think
many french people first go to the main website, ie www.postgresql.org,
for example to download the tarball. That's where they discover the
french mailing list and the french website. The french website is the
association's website. We put in it a translated PGWN, release news and
french success stories... and I think that's all. Hmmm, no, we also add
news on meetings (Solutions Linux, RMLL, etc.) And there's a cookbook
and a forum. That's all. Nothing like what's available on postgresql.org.

So I think we need both of them.

And I think we need a documentation's website but that's another story.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/