Re: DROP DATABASE and prepared xacts

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DROP DATABASE and prepared xacts
Date: 2007-02-12 17:48:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, I think we should completely separate the namespaces of the
>> global transaction identifiers, so that you could use the same gid in
>> two different databases without a conflict.
>
> Really? They're supposed to be "global".

Well yeah, the TM should be assigning globally unique ids to every
transaction. I don't trust all the TM implementations out there, and you
could even have two different TMs stepping on each others toes, but then
again I guess it's not really our problem as long as we give a nice
error message.

The XA spec recommends assigning transaction ids using the naming rules
specified for "OSI CCR atomic action identifiers". I don't know if it's
widely used in practice.

--
Heikki Linnakangas