Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Any Plans for cross database queries on the same server?
Date: 2007-01-30 19:58:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Ron Johnson wrote:
>> be separate databases because they're clearly related data.
>>

> Just because they are related, doesn't mean that it's always wise to
> lump it all in the same database. Mainly for scalability and
> performance reasons.

I would tend to agree, there are numerous times being able to do a cross
database query without the hassle of DBlink
would be extremely handy. I could also see it being valuable in a data
warehouse type situation.

I know it can be done in M$ SQL server using .. notation and I bet you
can do it in DB2 and Oracle.
you can even do it in MySQL, in MySQL it's their way of implementing
schemas.

Considering all these other DBs can do it, doesn't it make sense to at
least put it on the radar for Postgresql?

Just my 2 cents....

--
Tony