Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: me(at)oisinglynn(dot)com
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQL branches
Date: 2007-01-28 10:04:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Oisin Glynn wrote:
> My 8.2c,
> Having 8.1 end of life this soon after the release of 8.2 seems pretty
> harsh.

Yeah, I agree. In part I'm basing the idea to support the current and 2
previous branches on the amount of work required to build a complete set
of point releases in one go - 3 seems manageable over a weekend. 4 would
probably be possible, but would be more rushed than I'd like.

Also, three just seems like a sensible number to maintain. I kinda like
Magnus' idea to put older releases into a sort of 'retired' mode though,
and build only the binaries for PostgreSQL itself.

Regards, Dave.