Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

From: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date: 2007-01-26 08:09:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> I am constantly running into this:
>>
>> Q. Does PostgreSQL have full text indexing?
>> A. Yes it is in contrib.
>> Q. But that isn't part of core.
>> A. *sigh*
>>
>> Where on the website can I see what "plugins" are included with
>> PostgreSQL?
>>
>> Where on the website can I see the Official PostgreSQL Documentation for
>> Full Text Indexing?
>>
>> With TSearch2 in core will that fix the many upgrade problems associated
>> with using TSearch2?
>>

> contrib is a horrible misnomer. Can we maybe bite the bullet and call
> it something else?
After years of PG use, I am still afraid to use contrib modules because
it just *feels* like voodoo. I have spent much time reading this mailing
list and on IRC with PG users, and I know that contrib modules are on
the whole tested and safe, but the lack of web documentation and any
indication of what they do other than "check the notes that come with
the source" makes me just feel like they are "use and cross fingers"
type thing.

I don't know how hard it would be to implement, but perhaps contrib
modules could be compiled in a similar way to Apache modules. E.g.,
./configure --with-modulename with the onus for packaging them
appropriately falling onto the shoulders of the module authors. I feel
that even a basic module management system like this would greatly
increase awareness of and confidence in the contrib modules. Oh, and
+1 on renaming contrib
+1 on the need for a comprehensive list of them
+1 on the need for more doc on the website about each of them, onus
falling on module authors, perhaps require at least a basic doc patch as
a requirement for /contrib inclusion.

- Naz