Re: Cannot connect to one specific postgres database

To: Melvin Davidson <mdavidson(at)cctus(dot)com>
Cc: Matt Busby <busby(at)condodomain(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to one specific postgres database
Date: 2007-01-22 21:52:37
Lists: pgadmin-support

Melvin Davidson wrote:
> Yes, you are correct, but you can have multiple _clusters_ with
> different ports,
> so there would a separate postmaster for each cluster on a
> server/machine with
> a different port.

Yes, you can, but the way you've worded your response was that you have
one postmaster process per _database_, which isn't correct. A cluster
is a group of databases, not one, therefore your response to the OP was
misleading.
> Keep in mind the port for the database was not specified in the original
> description
> so it s entirely possible the unaccessible database was due to the
> postmaster for that
> port being down.

The OP said they can access other databases on the same server OK, plus
PgAdmin wouldn't crash - they'd get a "the server is not listening..."
message.
> BTW, we do have several servers/systems/machines running multiple
> postmasters on multiple ports
> so even of my "understanding" of postgresql is different than yours,
> I must be doing something right. :)

If you have legitimate reasons for doing so, fine, but I was responding
to the way you worded your question, which was you were saying you have
one process per port per database, which is by no means ideal.

Regards

Andy.

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834