Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum Improvements

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Darcy Buskermolen <darcyb(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum Improvements
Date: 2007-01-22 11:21:41
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Russell Smith wrote:
> 2. Index cleanup is the most expensive part of vacuum. So doing a
> partial vacuum actually means more I/O as you have to do index cleanup
> more often.

I don't think that's usually the case. Index(es) are typically only a
fraction of the size of the table, and since 8.2 we do index vacuums in
a single scan in physical order. In fact, in many applications the index
is be mostly cached and the index scan doesn't generate any I/O at all.

I believe the heap scans are the biggest issue at the moment.

--
Heikki Linnakangas