Re: What is the motivation of include directive and

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Takayuki Tsunakawa <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What is the motivation of include directive and
Date: 2007-01-17 14:15:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Takayuki Tsunakawa" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> writes:
>
>> Still, I don't understand well why config files need to be placed
>> outside the data directory, except for daring conform to FHS.
>>

> The killer argument for it is that most of what is in $PGDATA should be
> excluded from your normal filesystem backup method, because you need to
> be using some database-aware mechanism for backing up the database. But
> the config files are perfectly suited for standard filesystem backup,
> and indeed will *not* be covered by, say, pg_dumpall. So putting them
> somewhere else helps in creating a coherent backup strategy.

My backup setup excludes subdirectories of the data dir, rather than the
data dir itself.

Meeting FHS requirements is no bad thing, though. And the ability to
include a common configuration set in multiple instances is surely
useful to a number of people. After all, you aren't forced to use these
facilities - I typically don't.

cheers

andrew