Re: ideas for auto-processing patches

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ideas for auto-processing patches
Date: 2007-01-05 09:59:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Gavin Sherry wrote:
>> With PLM, you could test patches against various code branches. I'd
>> guessed Mark would want to provide this capability. Pulling branches from
>> anonvcvs regularly might be burdensome bandwidth-wise. So, like you say, a
>> local mirror would be beneficial for patch testing.
>

> I think you're missing the point. Buildfarm members already typically have
> or can get very cheaply a copy of each branch they build (HEAD and/or
> REL*_*_STABLE). As long as the patch feed is kept to just patches which
> they can apply there should be no great bandwidth issues.

yeah - another thing to consider is that switching to a different scm
repository qould put quite a burden on the buildfarm admins (most of
those are not that easily available for the more esotheric platforms for
example).
I'm also not sure how useful it would be to test patches against
branches other then HEAD - new and complex patches will only get applied
on HEAD anyway ...

Stefan