Re: How to trap invalid enum input exception?

From: Leon Starr <leon_starr(at)modelint(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to trap invalid enum input exception?
Date: 2010-08-16 17:13:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

I've trimmed my example down to the bare minimum in hopes of solving the problem myself, but no luck. Here's the exact code and console session:

create type side as enum ('right', 'left');

create or replace function testinput(
p_units_align side
) returns void as
$$
begin
exception
when SQLSTATE '22P02' then
raise 'Got it';
when INVALID_TEXT_REPRESENTATION then
raise 'Got it';
when OTHERS then
raise 'Got it';
end
$$
language plpgsql;

Then, in the psql console:
contracts=# \i testinput.sql
CREATE FUNCTION
contracts=# select * from testinput('right');
testinput
-----------

(1 row)

contracts=# select * from testinput('blue');
ERROR: 22P02: invalid input value for enum side: "blue"
LINE 1: select * from testinput('blue');
^
LOCATION: enum_in, enum.c:57

What am I missing?

- Leon

On Aug 15, 2010, at 8:58 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Leon Starr <leon_starr(at)modelint(dot)com> writes:
>> I have tried catching following with no success:
>> INVALID_TEXT_REPRESENTATION
>> SQLSTATE '22P02'
>> SQLSTATE '22000'
>> DATA_EXCEPTION
>> OTHERS
>
>> (lest we think I am completely incompetent ;), I have had success
>> catching all manner of FOREIGN_KEY_VIOLATION, UNIQUE_VIOLATION, CHECK_VIOLATION, NO_DATA_FOUND, etc. in other functions. So something is very different about this particular exception!)
>
>> It seems to me that it is not a normal exception and evades the exception clause. Any thoughts on where to go from here?
>
> Hmm, maybe the error is not being thrown when/where you think it is?
> Coercions of constants, in particular, happen very early and might
> possibly need some contortions to catch. Could we see an exact example
> of what's not working for you?
>
> regards, tom lane
>
> --

Model Integration, LLC
Complex Application Requirements Analysis and Modeling
Expert UML/MDA Development, Training and Support

Leon Starr
Analyst / Model Engineer

+1 415 863 8649 office
+1 415 215 9086 cell