Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andrej Ricnik-Bay <andrej(dot)groups(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Companies Contributing to Open Source
Date: 2006-12-19 21:30:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I think my overall thought is the tone seems a bit non-gracious to
> companies, when IMO the community should be actively courting companies
> to give resources. If companies feel unwelcome, they won't give.

I have not been following closely. But IMNSHO we should be stressing the
synergy involved in companies contributing to us. They benefit and we
benefit. Yes there can be conflicts, but these are less likely to occur
if communication stays open. Doing things behind closed doors is a
recipe for disaster whether you are a contributing company or
individual. Example: if I had developed notification payloads without
getting Tom's redirection, I would have come up with a patch that would
have been rejected, pissing me off and wasting my company's time. Now I
feel I can come up with something acceptable.

cheers

andrew