Re: 8.2.0 Tarball vs. REL8_2_0 vs. REL8_2_STABLE

From: Zoltan Boszormenyi <zboszor(at)dunaweb(dot)hu>
To: Matt Miller <pgsql(at)mattmillersf(dot)fastmail(dot)fm>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: 8.2.0 Tarball vs. REL8_2_0 vs. REL8_2_STABLE
Date: 2006-12-19 07:43:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Matt Miller írta:
>>> The [pgcluster-1.7.0rc1-patch] patch applies to the 8.2.0 tarball ...
>>> However, the patch will not apply to cvs branch REL8_2_0.
>>>
>> I've been told that the pgcluster patch patches some generated files
>> (parse.h and other apparently).
>>

> Yes, I could not at first apply to REL8_2_0 because the patch file
> wanted to patch src/backend/parser/gram.c. At that point I started over
> with a fresh REL8_2_0, ran "./configure; make", and tried the patch
> again. That's when I got a bunch of failures and fuzz. The problem
> files are:
>
> src/backend/parser/gram.c
> src/backend/parser/parse.h
> src/interfaces/libpq/libpq.rc
>
> So, I suppose libpq.rc is a derived file, also?
>
> Now I have two questions. First, why does pgcluster patch derived
> files? Is this just sloppy/lazy technique, or could there be some

Exactly.

E.g. PGCluster patches configure, not configure.in,
among others. The sugar on the top is PGCluster ruins
the nice portability of PostgreSQL. E.g. plain usage of
fork() without considering EXEC_BACKEND
is not portable across archs.

> deeper reason? I realize this is properly to be posed to the pgcluster
> folks, but they don't seem to be too responsive, at least not to their
> pgfoundry forums.
>
> Second, does it make sense that the derived files that rejected the
> patch would be so different between the 8.2.0 tarball and my
> REL8_2_0 build?

If the autotools and bison is different,
they may certainly produce different files.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi