Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EXPLAIN ANALYZE
Date: 2006-12-11 12:05:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Intermediate results are always better than none at all. I do understand
> what a partial execution would look like - frequently it is the
> preparatory stages that slow a query down - costly sorts, underestimated
> hash joins etc. Other times it is loop underestimation, which can
> usually be seen fairly quickly.

Surely all you're interested in is where the actual plan differs from
the expected plan? Could you not just have a mode that issues NOTICEs
when expected/actual number of rows differ by more than a set amount?
You'd probably want two NOTICEs - one when the threshold is exceeded,
one when the node completes.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd