Re: Load distributed checkpoint

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Kevin Grittner" <Kgrittn(dot)CCAP(dot)Courts(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "ITAGAKI Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Load distributed checkpoint
Date: 2006-12-08 17:55:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

>>> On Fri, Dec 8, 2006 at 11:01 AM, in message
<4579461A(dot)EE98(dot)0025(dot)0(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Kevin Grittner"

I'm going to correct a previous statement, based on having just chatted
with a member of the web team.

The remaining dribble of these was only occurring on the Windows
machines. (We were running two servers from Windows and two from Linux
for a while to see how things compared.) The settings I previously
posted have completely eliminated the problem on Linux, and we are
moving all servers to Linux, so this has become a total non-issue for
us. I really encourage people to try some much more aggressive
background writer settings, and possibly try tuning the OS dirty write
settings.

Unless PostgreSQL gets much closer to the hardware than the community
consensus seems to support, I don't understand what you could do in the
checkpoint phase that would improve on that. (That, of course, doesn't
mean I'm not missing something, just that the arguments made so far
haven't shown me that the suggested changes would do anything but move
the problem around a little bit.)

-Kevin