Re: Backup with Java

From: Markus Schaber <schabi(at)logix-tt(dot)com>
To: "tommaso(dot)taruffi(at)ricesoft(dot)it" <tommaso(dot)taruffi(at)ricesoft(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Backup with Java
Date: 2006-11-27 16:03:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi, tomaso,

tommaso(dot)taruffi(at)ricesoft(dot)it wrote:

> I have a question about how I can make a database backup
> with Java. I have made a class Connection.java that connect
> my application with Postgresql Database. I would make a
> function in this class for backup the state of the database.

If you want to make a complete, generic backup procedure, you'll have to
extract the necessary knowledge from the source of pg_dump / pg_dumpall.
AFAICT, there's no other place where this knowledge is documented.

In case something application-specific is enough, it's best to use a
domain specific data format for output.

HTH,
Markus
Dipl. Inf. | Software Development GIS