Re: Upgrade problem

From: Bill Kurland <bill(at)shakespeare-nyc(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgrade problem
Date: 2006-11-27 05:27:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom:

Thanks for the reply. I've installed the patch and, as you predicted, it
had no effect.

I did a google search on AIX + getaddrinfo and found
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2002-April/002063.html
In that context the author says that adding the port number in
etc/services solved his problem with getaddrinfo. So I tried that and,
lo, it has some effect, though I'm not sure it's 100% desirable. The log
entry is:

LOG: could not bind IPv6 socket: The type of socket is not supported in
this protocol family.
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait
a few seconds and retry.
LOG: database system was shut down at 2006-11-26 23:26:32 EST
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/38D198
LOG: redo record is at 0/38D198; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 565; next OID: 10793
LOG: next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
LOG: database system is ready
LOG: transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146, limited by database
"postgres"

but postmaster is running.

I've restored my database and a cursory look seems to show everything is
working as expected. Can you tell me what the log entries signify?

Thanks again.

--

Bill Kurland
Shakespeare & Co.

212-965-9683
212-965-9684 Fax

--
Can I now congratulate the same nation upon its freedom? Is it because liberty in the abstract may be classed amongst the blessings of mankind, that I am seriously to felicitate a madman, who has escaped from the protecting restraint and wholesome darkness of his cell, on his restoration to the enjoyment of light and liberty? Am I to congratulate a highwayman and murderer who has broke prison upon the recovery of his natural rights?
-Edmund Burke, "Reflections on the Revolution in France"