Re: NPE in BlobInputStream

From: matrixx <matrixx(at)freenet(dot)de>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: NPE in BlobInputStream
Date: 2006-11-26 22:21:34
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka schrieb:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, matrixx wrote:
>
>> im using the postgresql-8.1-407.jdbc3.jar driver over hibernate 3 to
>> access databases.
>>
>> Our application currently runs with mysql and mssql drivers without
>> any problems. With the postgresql driver i get the following exception:
>>
>> [ModuleProfile(dot)deserialize(at)AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR: Error
>> deserializing blob.
>> java.lang.NullPointerException
>> at
>> org.postgresql.largeobject.BlobInputStream.close(BlobInputStream.java:115)
>>
>> at java.beans.XMLDecoder.close(XMLDecoder.java:152)
>>
>> I dont know if its a driver bug, or a hibernate issue.
>>

> It's a driver bug that's caused by one of two possible issues. It's
> impossible to tell which from this stacktrace alone.
>
> 1) The BlobInputStream is violating the contract of the close method
> that allows you to call it more than once.
>
> 2) You've called getInputStream more than once on a Blob and it can't
> handle two streams simultaneously.
>
> I've produced a fix for 1 and a very simple version of 2. Could you try
> out this jar file and let me know if it works:

building the 8.1_407 failed cause i'm using jdk1.6.
But i was able to apply and build the patch on 8.2devel.

The NPE is gone there.

The getBinaryStream() is called only once from my side.
The code for accessing the blob simply is:

InputStream is = blob.getBinaryStream();
XMLDecoder decoder = new XMLDecoder(is);
config = (ModuleProfile) decoder.readObject();
decoder.close();

(The blob is from a Hibernate data object).

JR