Re: Integrating Replication into Core

From: David Boreham <david_list(at)boreham(dot)org>
To: replica-hooks-discuss(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Cc: José Orlando Pereira <jop(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alfranio Correia <alfranio(at)lsd(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
Subject: Re: Integrating Replication into Core
Date: 2006-11-23 14:29:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Markus Schiltknecht wrote:

> Probably that's just me, but I'm not aware of any (OSS) project which
> can emulate a network (or even a GCS), start and stop processes as
> requested and check how they react upon different inputs.

I've worked on an emulated test rig for a replication system (not RDBMS
but for LDAP).
We used netem (OSS) for the network emulation and a pile of python and
shell scripts and
C client test apps.
Testing replication is hard, of course, and you have to roll most of it
yourself :(

> If you know such a thing, please email me! (I've looked at STAF, but
> that seems overly complex and targeted at completely different use-case.)

In my experience test frameworks tend to provide less useful
functionality than one might hope.
Sometimes to the point that they're hardly worth bothering with at all.